Thursday, December 19, 2013

Confessions of a Chocoholic



How chocoholic are you?

As content as is, a fix of Max Brenner once a fortnight, my favourite banana bread topped with dark chocolate drizzle. Not really, there is no where else to turn to, and that is why I'd turn to Melbourne. For the love of exquisite french pastries and dessert heaven. Not to mention, the selection of elaborated coffee, lets not stray too far this time.

Complexity in baking is always intimidating. Layers of ganache, buttercream and syrup to disappoint you, with the very humble chiffon cake. Yes, it probably looks more than what it really is, that's called cosmetics. This may remind you why your daughters shouldn't be baking, because heavy cosmetic is just a few years down the road.


I love chiffons, soft, cottony and rich with melted dark chocolate, what's there to not love? Okay don't tell me. As long as I live, it shall be my secret remedy. I see you nodding with me on this. If you are not, we can't be friends. no we can't. yea, well.. let me think about it.

The slightly sour raspberry compliments the rich bitter sweet chocolate ganache. I rarely purchase raspberry, on average they cost $7 for a tiny box. Honestly I hadn't bought one without a few bad ones in it, that is if you looked close enough.


Chocolate Chiffon
(adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover

3 eggs, separated
60g castor sugar

40ml canola oil
60ml milk
70g dark chocolate, melted
15g cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
35g cake flour

method :
  1. whisk egg youls with 10g of sugar, adding in corn oil and milk gradually
  2. sift in cocoa powder, baking soda and cake flour, mix until incorporated.
  3. beat egg whites on high speed, adding in the rest of the sugar, to soft peaks
  4. fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the batter at a time, lightly mix until combined
  5. pour batter into a 6 inch square pan, pop it into the oven preheated at 175C for 35-45 mins. test with a skewer, it should come out clean when done.
  6. remove from oven and invert ont to a baking rack to cool completely

Chocolate Ganache

60g dark chocolate, chopped
60g whipping cream
1 Tbsp milk

method :
  1. bring whipping cream and milk to a low simmer
  2. add in chocolate and turn off heat
  3. stir until combined
  4. let ganache cool slightly, to thicken


Chocolate ganache, a rule of thumb, 50:50 whipping cream to chocolate, I don't like overcomplicated baking. I'd skip the artificial.


No comments:

Post a Comment