Friday, December 20, 2013

Travel Destination : Launceston, Tasmania

Road to Mount Cradle, 2012

Here are some photos of Launceston from last summer. They said, the best time to be there is summer, that's if you are a foodie like me, eager to experience fruit picking at 38 degrees! I have a low tolerance for heat, my second name is "Puteri Lilin" (direct translation from Malay, a Candle Princess, means not able to withstand heat), I will literally melt under the sun. Launceston offers many scenic attractions, as my stay here was not lengthy, here are three of my favourites. 


#3 Tamar Valley Winery



If you are thinking of wine tasting, it's best to get someone who doesn't drink to drive, otherwise the best option would be a day tour. Basically, you get to visit three to four different wineries, and from each winery, there would be a selection of wine tasting. I was probably too drunk to count by the end of the day but lets say an average of five drinks from each winery, which makes about fifteen. Of course, it's not one full glass of wine, but enough to make you tipsy.

Overall, the wineries has not much to shout about compared to the ones in Victoria (in my opinion).


#2 Bridestowe Lavender Estate



As soon as you arrive, the overwhelming scent of lavender, could hardly be ignored. The lavender estate promises you with never ending queues of lavender experience, and a little cottage cafe that sells lavender ice  cream.


#1 Mount Cradle


Dove Lake, 2012
It was a tough struggle, a two hour climb, every step made from rock and sand, without a handrail to grip, basically I climbed like a horse (not gallop, two hands down on the floor) all the way up. Catching the ground with your bare hands, coordinating the movement among the limbs, and after half an hour, I almost gave up. Still, the idea of being stuck neither up nor down, right in the middle of nowhere, its either I chickened out and risk myself lost going down or I pushed myself forward. 

You guessed it right. Thank god the longest two hours of my life is over. The next time I'm going there (Yes, I want to go there again), I am going to have to build up my stamina. The elevated view was absolutely breathtaking. The pain from sunburn? It was all worthwhile. 

If I was ever going to climb that mountain again, my checklist should include a comfortable pair of shoes, a hat, sun glasses, a bottle of water and of course some sandwiches in my back pack. I would definitely want some food to go with mother nature. Why not.

For the ones who think that they are not up for it, there is a leisure walk around the lake, according to mum it was tough for her too because the pathway was narrow and involves minimal climbs. It was not that leisure after all. 

View from the top of Mount Cradle, 2012










In the whole journey, pathway was made of very uneven silver stones (picture above).

Dandelions along the pathway of Mount Cradle, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment